- The Chairman’s Bao: news articles in simplified and traditional characters sorted by HSK level. Spoken dialogue, wordlists, and grammatical explanations also provided.
- https://www.duchinese.net/: new app that is similar to Chairman’s Bao but on iphone. All texts are read by native speakers, so good for listening as well.
- http://app.decipherchinese.com/: similar to Chairman’s Bao and Du Chinese.
- Chinesepod: the one that started the language podcast explosion over 10 years ago. Thousands of lesson, transcripts, etc. but behind a paywall.
- Easy Mandarin. Simple questions to native speakers on the streets of Taiwan.
- https://www.zerotohero.ca/#/en/zh/youtube/browse – youtube videos in Chinese with transcripts and English translations. Like fluentu, but free.
- subs2srs Chinese pre-made anki decks
- subs2srs tutorial: An excellent tutorial made by Britt vs Japan.
- https://downsub.com: download subtitles from a variety of platforms (youtube, viki, etc.). These subs can then be used to make flashcards in subs2srs!
- tubeoffline.com: download videos and subs for many different sites.
- Graded Watching: You’ve heard of graded readers. What about gradedTV shows? A very promising site that I need to investigate further.
- Mandarin Corner: Youtube channel and website. Intermediate dialogues at a native pace with native speakers. Too bad it doesn’t have downloadable soft subtitles or making anki cards with SUBS2SRS would be easier.
- https://hanyufanting.com – collects videos on youtube, posts transcripts, etc.
- Chinese Grammar Wiki
- https://mandarinfriend.wordpress.com: Chengyu and grammar explanations.
- DeFrancis series
Characters and Writing
- Wiktionary: character decompositions, spotty etymologies, defintions and usage in multiple dialects and languages.
- http://www.hanzicraft.com: characer decompositions
- Hanzi Grids: Great for practicing writing.
Wordlists and Analysis
- Anything by wibr. For example: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/44336-graded-readers-by-the-numbers-characterswords-page-count/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-438883
- Good Explanation for how he uses Chinesepod.
- Blog from the creator of Chinese Text Analyser and HanziGrids
- Sinosplice: John Pasden of Chinesepod, Mandarin Companion, and All Set Learning.
- Hacking Chinese
- http://chinese-forums.com: the best forum for Chinese learners and one of the best language learning forums by far.
- Frequency Lists
- Chinese Text Analyzer by Imron
Just for Me
- https://www.guavarama.com/books/: how to purchase books, which ones are good, etc. from the perspective of teaching a child Chinese. Very useful.
- https://www.books.com.tw/products/0010794095?sloc=reprod_t_4 – A collection of Roald Dahl books in traditional Chinese. I wish I could find these as ebooks…
- https://www.pubu.com.tw/ebook/196703 – good site for Taiwan ebooks in Traditional Chinese.
- After DeFrancis:
- Ordering books
- Slow Chinese: a podcast that includes long transcripts of its dialogues. Most are extended monologues or stories.